Welcome!

Welcome to the western civ (dot) blogspot (dot) com! This blog features many important events and news about the Western Civilization from ancient times to present day. Enjoy! http://thewesternciv.blogspot.com

Nicolaus Copernicus

Nicolaus Copernicus was a Polish monk, mathmatician and astronomer. He believed in the heliocentric theory where the sun is the center of the universe and the earth moves in a circular orbit around the sun. His theory was described in his work On the Revolution of the Heavenly Spheres. Both Protestants and Catholics, as well as other scientists denounced his work.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I believe Copernicus is one of those characters of history that is often forgotten in modern times. He played a vital role in the evolution of society.

Especially in the world of science.

Anonymous said...

"I believe Copernicus is one of those characters of history that is often forgotten in modern times. He played a vital role in the evolution of society."

I think this is just as so for any historical figure. Copernicus isn't lost in the math and science fields, but is rather just lost in society. Society as a whole tends to be blind to history I think.

Finance Matters said...

I have always been interested in the history of monks. I don't think I would want to be one, but they are interesting.